“Accidents Will Happen (1)”
Season 3, Episode 14
January 26, 2004
August 26, 2006
Manny's starting to notice things. She's pale, nauseated, no period. All the signs are coming together, and she's scared. Could she be 14, and pregnant? Meanwhile, Toby wants to be Jimmy's friend again. And if making that happen means hacking into the school computers? Even better.
Everyone at Degrassi has been coming down with a cold, and the flu, but the Gymnastics Team are still going at it, and are getting ready for their tournament in a few weeks.
While rehearsing Kendra realizes she might be coming down with a cold, and nearly throws up while doing a flip, and runs to the bathroom. Ms. Hatzilakos tells are the girls that they need to be careful about germs, and she doesnnt want to loose another teammate do to the stomach flu. Manny goes over to get her picture taken, unfortunately, by Craig, he tells her its for the yearbook, and she should smile. She blatantly disagrees and tells him looking at him doesn't make her wanna smile.
Later in school, Ashley and Ellie walks by Manny, and Ashley asks if Ellie smells anything, to which Ellie says "smells like a paculiar boyfriend stealer", leaving Manny to try and run after them, denying that she wants Craig anymore, but they up and ignore her and continue walking away, both still obviously holding a grudge. Paige comes over and sarcastically asks Manny, if its tough being her at the moment. But tells her that if it makes her feel better, people are gossiping about her awesome Gymnastics skills, only when their not discussing her fairly infedently personal life concerning her affair with Craig, leaving Manny to sigh. Paige tells her it'll blow over sooner or later... and realizes she's looking a little pale.
Manny walks into study hall to go talk to Ashley. She tells her she's really sorry, but Ashley says sorry doesn't make up for the pain she caused. Manny reveals she didn't just cheat with Craig for no reason, instead, Craig told her he had dumped Ashley, and told her she was the one. While in English Class, Manny has the sudden urge to throwup, a strong urge, and gaggly asks Ms.Kwan if she can go to the bathroom. Ms. Kwan doesn't directly say yes, instead she asks questions and tells her if she's sick, she should choose to rather not come to school in a such condition, Manny interupts her and asks her one more time, this time looking as if she's gonna throw up on the floor, Ms. Kwan agrees, and Manny rushes out of the room. She's then seen puking in the bathroom, and wipes her mouth while looking sickly.Later while stretching for her next Gymnastics Rehearsal, Emma comes up to Manny to stretch with her, and
wonders what the mad dash out of english was earlier. Manny shakes it off, and tells her it was nothing. Emma makes it clear to her, that, if she's sick, she knows she can compete. Manny ignores her, since their relationship has been at very thin point. Emma tells her Coach should know and leaves, but Manny stops her and tells her, her life sucks at the moment, and that she's really nervous.
After giving the team a brief victory show, the girls head back into the Locker Room, and clean up. Emma tells Manny that she was awesome, and because of her, they're going to win Regionals. Manny thanks her, and tells her she heard about Snake, with Cancer, and that she's sorry with everything that's been going on, and not helping her through it. Emma she tells her he's doing fine. Hazel then bursts into the room, and tells the girls she'll give the money, stat if anyone gives her a tampon. Wondering whats wrong, she tells them her period came when she was doing a double walkover, and that it was so gross, it belongs in a horror movie. Sadly, Emma's all out of Tampons, but Manny still has a full pack, and gives one to Hazel after saying she hasn't had her period in "ages". This catches Emma's attention, worrying her, she asks Manny if she's sure theres nothing else going on with her. Annoying Manny, she scurries out of the room.
Manny runs outside and checks her Period calender, and realizes she hasn't had her period in 9 weeks, putting the math together; it's been 10 weeks since she had sex with Craig, and she realizes she might be prenant.
The next day, she goes into the bathroom after Paige, and asks advice about if she knows when a guy used a condom. Paige jokes and asks her if she was in that moment, she leaves the stall to see Manny's pale and serious face. She asks her if she heard him put the condom on him, or even open it. And Manny doesn't think he did. Paige thinks she knows who Manny is talking about, and tells her she shouldn't be that worried, because if she's talking about Craig, he seems like the semi-responsible guy when it comes to Sex, but that she really should just ask him if she's worried, and next time "ask questions first, get naked later."During the Regionals Competition, Manny is getting prepped, and notices her mom in the crowd. Ms. Hatzilakos comes over and tells her she looks a little shakey, but she's gonna win this. Coach Armstrong calls Manuella up to represent Degrassi on the balance beam. She goes to the stage, and looks at Craig, and feels she's getting quesy, along with the whimpers of a baby, its hard to think, and while flipping, she falls off the beam, and Degrassi is ruled a forefit, she runs outside and Craig follows her out. Manny realizes this is the time to ask him. She asks Craig if he used a condom on his penis the first time they had sexual intercourse, and this worries Craig, and he states he though she was on the Birth Controll Pill when they had sex, and she angrily yet sadly replies that it was her first time, she thought it would be okay. But she doesn't wanna worry Craig anymore, and tells him nothing is Wrong.
The next day, while Free Period is happening, Manny notices her Pregnancyy is making her gain a little weight, and takes a run. But after a few blocks, she breaks down, and doesn't know what to do, so she runs to Spike's house, and sadly tells her she might be pregnant.
Spike, who had Emma at 13, is completely supportive of Manny, and helps her take a pregnancy test. Spike offers to go with Manny to tell her parents if she were to keep the baby. But Manny declines, and says her parents would go crazy, and send her back to some Convent in the Philippines, like they did to her cousin. The bell rings, and Manny frightendly walks over to it, hoping for the best, hoping the test would say negative, but ultimately, the test is a positive, and the look on her face, assures Spike, who sadl looks down, always hoping this wouldn't happen to a young girl, like it did to her. The next day, Manny had called Craig to tell him she's pregnant with his baby. She tells him she's almost sure, but has a doctors appointment, but knows that she's pregnant with his child. She begins to cry, knowing he might be upset... but to her surprise, he says what if they kept the baby. What if they became a little family... leaving a rather confused look on Manny's face.
- The title of this episode is named after the song "Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello.
- Due to the content discussed in this episode, it was not aired in the United States until a later date. It was aired in the US for the first time after, the television station, The N, decided to air it during, what was called, "Cast Picks." Cassie Steele chose this as her "pick." It was not shown again until a later date, when The N decided to air an "every episode ever" marathon, before the premiere of the 6th season.
- It is shown that Manny is particularly gifted at gymnastics.
- This episode marks the beginning of Craig and Manny's second relationship.
- Manny is still upset with Craig after their break up in Holiday (2), where she was left heartbroken after finding out Craig hadn't broken up with Ashley.
- The whole school is still gossiping over Manny and Craig's affair after Craig was publicly dumped by both of his girlfriends in Holiday (2).
- Toby finds out that his friendship with Jimmy had deteriorated because his step-sister, Ashley, dumped Jimmy.
- Emma reveals that Snake is in the hospital for more intense chemotherapy for his cancer.
- Manny discovers that she is pregnant with Craig's baby from the time they had unprotected sex in
Should I Stay or Should I Go?.
- In the bathroom, when Paige tells Manny to "Next time, ask questions first, get naked later.", she is referencing an earlier sex-ed lecture that Dr. Sally gave to her class.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Lauren Collins as Paige Michalchuk
- Ryan Cooley as J.T. Yorke
- Jake Epstein as Craig Manning
- Stacey Farber as Ellie Nash
- Jake Goldsbie as Toby Isaacs
- Aubrey Graham as Jimmy Brooks
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Andrea Lewis as Hazel Aden
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Melissa McIntyre as Ashley Kerwin
- Cassie Steele as Manny Santos
- Amanda Stepto as Christine Nelson
- Dan Woods as Daniel Raditch
- Marie V. Cruz as Julietta Santos
- Melissa DiMarco as Daphne Hatzilakos
- Michael Kinney as Darryl Armstrong
- Katie Lai as Kendra Mason
- Linlyn Lue as Laura Kwan
- Watch Accidents Will Happen (1) on Gorillavid (International)
Father Figure (1) • Father Figure (2) • U Got The Look • Pride (1) • Pride (2) • Gangsta, Gangsta • Should I Stay or Should I Go? • Whisper to a Scream • Against All Odds • Never Gonna Give You Up • Holiday (1) • Holiday (2) • This Charming Man • Accidents Will Happen (1) • Accidents Will Happen (2) • Take On Me • Don't Dream It's Over • Rock and Roll High School • It's Raining Men • I Want Candy • Our House • The Power of Love •