“High Fidelity (2)”
Season 5, Episode 19
March 20, 2006
June 9, 2006
Graduation is approaching, a time for moving on. Both Ashley and Craig return to Degrassi from London and Vancouver to visit with old friends and perhaps return to school the following year. Jimmy is not one who will be moving on from Degrassi just yet, as his time away from school, despite his hard work, has left him a few credits short from graduating with his class. He is still feeling sorry for himself for being in a wheelchair, but encouragement from Ashley may help. Her first words of encouragement fall flat however. Jimmy likes Ellie, and Ashley believes that Ellie likes Jimmy based on some comments she's made. Based on this information from Ashley, Jimmy tells Ellie that he wants to take their friendship to the next level. However, it is not Jimmy that Ellie has relationship feelings for, but Craig.
Jimmy is feeling very unattractive in his wheelchair, but a passionate kiss from Ashley boosts his confidence, not only with himself, but with his lot in life. From this, he buries the hatchet with Spinner. However, Spinner is having relationship issues of his own. The kiss with Paige has left him slightly confused, but Darcy asks him to take her back, which he does. The return of Darcy leaves Spinner the task of telling Paige that nothing beyond that kiss can happen, however, before he can do so, another tender moment with Paige leads to them going all the way. Spinner text messages Marco what happened with Paige, asking for advice. However, he doesn't have to decide, as Paige is moving on from Degrassi post-graduation, and Darcy sees the text messages, which leads to her dumping Spinner.
His renewed friendship with Jimmy makes Spinner realize that he needs to take what he wants out of life, causing him to run after Darcy before she leaves for Bible camp for the summer. Although she doesn't trust him, because he broke his purification vows so easily, she glances at him before she gets on the bus, leaving him with some hope.
In this episode, Paige, Ellie, Marco, Hazel, Alex, along with the other season 5 seniors, all graduate with Marco as their valedictorian.
- The song playing when Darcy gets on the bus after speaking to Spinner is Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars.
- Although Jimmy is in the same grade as the Class of 2006, he is forced to stay back a year due to his lack of credits. Spinner was also supposed to graduate with the class of 2006, but he was expelled due to the shooting incident, and came back later, which forced him to graduate with Emma's class.
- This is the 100th Episode of Degrassi (TNG count only)
- The class of 2006 graduates.
- Ellie turns down Jimmy when he asks to take their friendship to the next level.
- This episode marks the beginning of Ashley and Jimmy's third relationship.
- This episode marks the end of Darcy and Spinner's second relationship.
- This is the first re-appearance of Ashley since she left for London in season 4.
- This is the last appearance of Hazel.
- Final episode appearances of Craig Manning and Toby Isaacs as regulars.
- Jimmy mentions the school shooting in Time Stands Still and the gonorrhea outbreak from Secret.
- When Ashley questions where Craig is, Ellie informs her that he is off recording his solo album in Vancouver, which he left for a episodes back in Together Forever.
- When learning of Manny and Craig's relationship, Ashley said it makes her "vaguely itchy", referring to the love triangle between the three of them in season 3.
- When commenting on her relationship with Alister, Ashley said it was "good, then bad, and then it was over".
- Ellie mentions she has a crush on someone, referring to Craig.
- In Jimmy's sketchbook, there is a drawing of Rick Murray aiming a gun, in reference to when Rick brought the gun to school and shot Jimmy, paralyzing him for life.
- When Spinner arrives over at Paige's house to talk to her, they look over a yearbook with pictures of them and their friends from earlier in their high school years.
- Paige reveals to Spinner that she never blamed him for the shooting.
- Peter taped the play for Manny so she could show her agent, saying "I used my powers for good this time", referencing when he taped her flashing her breasts and distributed it to the entire school in Venus.
- Jimmy finally forgives Spinner for his involvement with the shooting in Time Stands Still (2), and the two become friends again.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Sarah Barrable-Tishauer as Liberty Van Zandt
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Deanna Casaluce as Alex Nuñez
- Lauren Collins as Paige Michalchuk
- Ryan Cooley as J.T. Yorke
- Melissa DiMarco as Daphne Hatzilakos
- Jake Epstein as Craig Manning
- Stacey Farber as Ellie Nash
- Jake Goldsbie as Toby Isaacs
- Aubrey Graham as Jimmy Brooks
- Jamie Johnston as Peter Stone
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Andrea Lewis as Hazel Aden
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Adamo Ruggiero as Marco Del Rossi
- Cassie Steele as Manny Santos
- Amanda Stepto as Christine Nelson
- Paige: "Last night I may have made out Spinner.."
Hazel: "Spinner?! But I just got used to you being a lesbian.
Paige: "This isn't about you, it's about me. Right now, I'm about being free who I want to date: girl or boy."
- Paige: "Yearbook, Toby? BTW, what you hear at Yearbook Table, stays at Yearbook Table."
Toby: "Just so you know, I totally support freedom to date whomever. And BTW, totally available."
- Marquee: "Graduation Weekend 50 Years of Degrassi"