|Nickname(s)||The wicked witch of Degrassi (by Caitlin)|
|Date of Birth||C.1974|
|Family|| Mr. Mead (Father)
Ms. Mead (Mother)
|School(s)||Degrassi Junior High|
|First Episode||The Experiment (1.03-Degrassi Junior High)|
|Last Episode||Mother and Child Reunion (2) (1.02-DTNG)|
|Portrayed By||Rebecca Haines|
Kathleen Mead was portrayed by Rebecca Haines.
Original Degrassi Season 1-5Kathleen Mead (born 1975*) is a Canadian woman who attended Degrassi Junior High (where she served as vice president in Grade 8) and Degrassi High. She was best friends with Melanie Brodie. Kathleen was one of the original "mean girls" at Degrassi, and was always gossiping about someone, and their problems. In Kathleen and Melanie's very first semester of junior high (1987), they tried "drugs", sold to them by Joey Jeremiah, only to later find out that the drugs were not real and were only Vitamin pills.
Kathleen's mom was an alcoholic, which played a huge factor in Kathleen's attitude and behavior, which later resulted in an eating disorder. In high school, she dated Scott, who abused her. She was afraid of the school bully, Tabi, in her grade 9 year (1989–90), but brings back her mean attitude by pushing her against a locker.
She brings marijuana to a party for Diana, and she and best friend, Melanie, get high. Melanie then tells all of Kathleen's secrets, including her anorexia, and of Scott beating her. Later, Kathleen forgives Melanie about everything that she said. When Degrassi is shut down, Kathleen, along with all her other classmates, are transferred to other high schools around the district. Kathleen excels academically, only second to Caitlin Ryan.
Kathleen's parents were played by Sheila Brogren and Ross Churchill.
Degrassi: The Next Generation
Kathleen is just one of many of her other Degrassi classmates seen in the series spinoff. She is seen at a class reunion for Degrassi.
(* Although many Grade 7 first season characters have birthdays in 1975, since Emma Nelson, daughter of a Grade 8 student, was born in June 1989, and since Grade 7s start at the age of 11 or 12 and finish at 12 or 13, 1975 birthdays should be retconned as 1976.)
- Scott Smith
- (To herself) "You're so fat!"
- Melanie:"Laxatives? But you haven't eaten anything, what are you doing with laxatives?"
Kathleen:"What do you think?"
- Kathleen was the first character that:
- Had an abusive ex-boyfriend. The other three were Terri, Fiona, and Bianca.
- Had a mother with drinking problems. The second is Ellie.
- Had an eating disorder and/or dealt with a negative body image (anorexia binge eating/purge subtype). The other seven were Terri, Toby, Emma, Manny, Jenna and Katie, and Tristan.
- Kathleen's mother in the series is the real life mother of Stefan Brogen (Snake).