“Money for Nothing”
Season 8, Episode 7
November 23, 2008
November 21, 2008
Holly J. is desperate to keep up her Queen Bee status after learning her parents are having financial difficulties. Meanwhile, Peter's mom, Ms. Hatzilakos, unexpectedly drops in for a visit. She stays at his pad while she's in town, and Peter quickly discovers that his life isn't so rad with mom around.
Holly J. learns that her family is going through financial difficulties, due to the fact that her dad "made some risky investments", according to her mother. Because of this, her mom cuts her credit card in half. This means she can't go on a $350 cheerleading trip to Florida and on a date with Blue to a $125 concert. She doesn't want Blue and her teammates to know about her problem, so she lies to her teammates about going to a family wedding and tells Blue that she really didn't want to go with him, making him upset since he stood 6 hours in the rain to buy the tickets. Her teammates however, are okay with her not going, and Mia is made temporary captain, making Holly J. jealous. She then asks Spinner for a job at The Dot to get money for the trip, lying by saying it's for college applications, and he says yes. Later that night, her friends come to The Dot, and she continues to lie. After Derek becomes bothersome at work, Holly J pours his drink on him, causing Spinner to fire her.
The next day at school, Leia tells Holly J. how Mia got her modeling job by sleeping with football star Tom Blake. Holly J tells a news reporter about Mia's secret, and it's aired on the news. Holly J's mom then gives her a $350 check from Heather so that she can go on the cheerleading trip. She lets her team know, but all of them are mad about her trashing Mia's reputation. As a result, they vote her off the squad.
She then tries to rekindle her date with Blue, who rejects her by calling her selfish. She then goes back to The Dot to ask Spinner for her job back. This time she confesses the truth to Spinner about her money problem. After some advice, and a mutual understanding, he gives her another chance at her job.
Peter's mother drops by for a visit, and he's determined to prove to her that he's grown up and independent.
- This episode deals with financial situations, and a family having to deal with losing money.
- Holly J gets a job at The Dot, but then loses it after pouring Derek's drink on his head. After she tells Spinner the truth about why she needed the job, he gives her another chance.
- Holly J is kicked off the Power Squad and is dumped by Blue.
- This episode is named after the song "Money for Nothing" by the band Dire Straits.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Raymond Ablack as Sav Bhandari
- Dalmar Abuzeid as Danny Van Zandt
- Charlotte Arnold as Holly J. Sinclair
- Nina Dobrev as Mia Jones
- Marc Donato as Derek Haig
- Jordan Hudyma as Blue Chessex
- Judy Jiao as Leia Chang
- Jamie Johnston as Peter Stone
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Jajube Mandiela as Chantay Black
- Samantha Munro as Anya MacPherson
- AJ Saudin as Connor Delaurier
- Melinda Shankar as Alli Bhandari
- Natty Zavitz as Bruce
- Paula Boudreau as Ms. Dawes
- Melissa DiMarco as Daphne Hatzilakos
- Susan Hamann as Mary-Kate Sinclair
- Zain Meghji as Reporter
- Sarah Barrable-Tishauer as Liberty Van Zandt
- Paula Brancati as Jane Vaughn
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Sam Earle as K.C. Guthrie
- Argiris Karras as Riley Stavros
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Scott Paterson as Johnny DiMarco
- Aislinn Paul as Clare Edwards
- Cassie Steele as Manny Santos
- Evan Williams as Kelly Ashoona
Mrs. Sinclair: Your father made some risky investments.
Holly J: So...?
Mrs. Sinclair: So, we're trying to save the house, but things are going to have to change. Hand over your credit card.
(Holly J hesitates, but then does so. Mrs. Sinclair then takes a pair of scissors and cuts it in half. Holly J is shocked.)
- Holly J: But, mom, I need money. The Power Squad's going on a trip. I have a date!
- Mrs. Sinclair: I'm sorry, honey. I already cut up mine.
- Holly J: You can't just go changing everything. You're ruining my life!
- Holly J: Please. I can see the Anti-Grapevine headline now -- 'Meet Holly J, Degrassi's newest charity case'.
- Chantay: Giselle makes $40 million a year. I wonder how much Mia is banking.