“Mr. Brightside (2)”
Season 11, Episode 19
August 16, 2011
August 16, 2011
Dave is being such a total sweetheart about Alli's parental situation. If he has to have her home by curfew and steer clear of her parents, so be it. But Alli's tired of hiding, and she knows that if anyone deserves her family's blessing, it's Dave. Can she finally break down the Bhandari barrier? Drew is obsessed with fighting; it's like a drug to him, and Katie's curious, even intrigued... but not impressed. Drew likes this girl: she's tough and no-nonsense, but also understanding. Can she help him open up and find a healthier solution for his problems, or can Drew expect a different ending? Holly J. knows that her request put her birth mother in a tough spot—recovery from kidney donation is no joke, and Dawn is a single mom. As the two of them make peace with reality, can Fiona find another way to help her best friend?
Drew apologizes to Katie, by giving her an apology coffee, for blaming her for ratting on him to Principal Simpson, and offers to be the sports reporter for the Degrassi newspaper. Julian and Owen tell Drew about an underground MMA fighting ring, and they all go there that night. Drew goes up against someone and almost gets knocked unconscious. Drew continues to insist on training harder. While in a newspaper club meeting Katie asks Drew to write an article for the newspaper. Drew agrees and falls asleep in the meeting and has a nightmare about getting beaten up. Later, when Drew tells Katie that he didn't write the article, he confesses that he got jumped over spring break, and kisses her. Drew then goes back to the fighting ring for a rematch. He wins, but afterward uses all the built-up rage he has to beat the guy until he’s unconscious. Katie shows up and calms down Drew and leaves with him. Katie then begins to teach Drew a more peaceful way to defend himself: Tae Kwon Do.
Alli talks to Dave and they agree to start over and introduce Dave to her parents as her boyfriend. Alli tells her parents that Dave is her boyfriend, and they are okay with him coming over again. Dave dresses and behaves normally, and they all play cards together. With Dave getting along so well with her family that means they can spend a lot of time together over the summer. However, Alli learns that she’s been accepted into a science program, and she’ll have to be away for the entire summer.
Holly J. apologizes to Dawn for yelling at her the day previous and instead decides to focus on getting to know Dawn. While working on Holly J.’s prom dress, she shows Fiona pictures of Dawn’s old prom dress. Fiona wants the dress and says she’ll pay Dawn $20,000 for it. Dawn agrees, and that also means Dawn and Holly J. can go through with the kidney transplant.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Charlotte Arnold as Holly J. Sinclair
- Luke Bilyk as Drew Torres
- Annie Clark as Fiona Coyne
- Jahmil French as Dave Turner
- Daniel Kelly as Owen Milligan
- Aislinn Paul as Clare Edwards
- Chloe Rose as Katie Matlin
- Melinda Shankar as Alli Bhandari
- Jordan Todosey as Adam Torres
- Katie Bergin as Dawn
- Jonas Chernick as Mike Betenkamp
- Marvin L. Ishmael as Mr. Bhandari
- Mishu Vellani as Mrs. Bhandari
- Jason Bell as Fighter 1
- Garret Bullock as Fight referee
- Susan Hamann as Mary-Kate Sinclair
- Stephan James as Julian Williams
- Jake Teel as Fighter 2
- Raymond Ablack as Sav Bhandari
- Shanice Banton as Marisol Lewis
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Munro Chambers as Eli Goldsworthy
- Sam Earle as K.C. Guthrie
- Alicia Josipovic as Bianca DeSousa
- Argiris Karras as Riley Stavros
- Justin Kelly as Jake Martin
- Shannon Kook-Chun as Zane Park
- Cory Lee as Winnie Oh
- Jajube Mandiela as Chantay Black
- Samantha Munro as Anya MacPherson
- Cristine Prosperi as Imogen Moreno
- AJ Saudin as Connor DeLaurier
- Jessica Tyler as Jenna Middleton
- Spencer van Wyck as Wesley Betenkamp
- "An Island Now" by The Canvas Waiting - Heard when Drew kisses Katie.
- "I Wonder" by Bobby Bazini - Heard when Drew and Katie make peace and practice martial arts.