|Intimacy Level||Friends; Former Rivals; Former Bandmates|
|Friendship Started||At least six years prior to Family Politics (103)|
Paige Michalchuk and Ashley Kerwin had something of a volatile friendship throughout middle and high school. While Ashley was a practical, no-nonsense overachiever, Paige was fun-loving, though often manipulative. Ashley's run as the most popular girl at Degrassi Community School in Season 1 of Degrassi: The Next Generation was frequently threatened by Paige's mean girl schemes. In spite of the ups and downs that their friendship faced, Ashley and Paige cared deeply for one another.
In Eye of the Beholder, Ashley gives Terri a makeover for the school dance to give her a bit more self-esteem (as Terri believed she was ugly and fat). Because she's School President, she has to arrive early at the dance, leaving Paige alone with Terri. Paige manipulates Terri's vulnerable emotional state and gets her drunk. Ashley is furious with Paige for taking advantage of her.
In Parents' Day, Ashley and Paige vie for the attention of Toby's mother Anne Marie Isaacs, who happens to be a Hollywood casting agent. It turns out that she was more interested in Terri than the other two girls. Ashley and Paige are both left in disappointment and dismay.
In The Mating Game, in English class, Ms. Kwan assigns the class roles for Romeo and Juliet to do a brief class presentation/performance of certain parts of the play. Jimmy and Paige are playing Romeo and Juliet which makes Ashley insecure.
In Secrets and Lies, Ashley goes to school upset and before she can tell Terri of her troubles, Paige rudely butts into the conversation. She tells Ashley the possible "real reason" for the divorce (which is the "real" reason), without actually realizing she was telling the truth. Thinking that Paige was being Paige, Ashley throws chocolate milk into her face and tells her to mind her own business, then stomps away. Paige is near tears as she confesses to Terri that her older brother is gay and she was actually trying to be serious with Ashley.In Cabaret, Ashley and Terri want to take part in Degrassi's Cabaret, so they form a band called "Two Girls and a Keyboard". Paige wants to be in the band and uses Terri's hobby for tarot card reading to trick Ashley to letting her join. When she agrees, Paige then suggests that the name be changed to Paige Michalchuk and the Sex Kittens, while Ashley says the name is inappropriate and prefers to call it "Three Girls and a Keyboard". Tension also arises when Paige and Ashley argue over performing different versions of their song. Annoyed by Paige's attitude, Ashley quits the band before the talent show, but soon discovers Paige and Terri are a hit. In the end, the three girls reconcile and re-form their band, calling it "PMS".
In Jagged Little Pill, Ashley invited Terri, Paige and Hazel over for a slumber party whilst Kate and Jeff were away. Toby had also invited J.T. and Sean, with the former bringing along ecstasy. Sean went to replace it with aspirin, when Ashley consumed it and invited Jimmy and his friends over. Soon, more people came over and Ashley was out of control. She began dancing and made out with Sean, even though Sean didn't know that Ashley was on ecstasy, and this was after his fight with Emma. Ashley then publicly dumped Jimmy, telling him everything she thought of their relationship. She tried to apologize afterwards, but he did not want to see her. Ashley also called Paige a "hag," insulting her looks and personality. Everyone, except Terri, left the party, disgusted at Ashley's behavior.
Season 2In Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Paige makes a snide remark about Ashley's costume for the 1980s themed Grade 9 dance.
In Karma Chameleon, Paige somewhat forgives Ashley, although she later turns against her after hearing she chose Sean over Jimmy. She makes it clear that she does not want to be friends with Ashley during school photos when she gives Terri the ultimatum of staying with Ashley and being a social outcast or being popular with Paige. Terri ultimately chooses Paige's side, which was just what Paige wanted.In Shout (2), when another talent show swings around, Paige invites Ashley to be a member of PMS and makes peace with her. Ashley writes something "real" (as Paige had requested) and she writes "Poor Thing" about rape just as Paige is getting over her own. Paige gets into a fight with Ashley and runs out, but Ashley runs after her and comforts her, promising not to use the song. Ashley also gets Paige counseling sessions with Ms. Suave. However, Dean turns up at the competition, and Paige decides to use Ashley's song, which makes him uncomfortable enough to leave. They are given an honorable mention, and Ashley begins to win her old friends back.
In Should I Stay or Should I Go?, Ashley goes to Paige's Sweet 16 party.
In I Want Candy, Ashley, Paige, and Spinner skip school to see Terri. After a day of fun, Ashley reveals that she believes Degrassi is cursed so she's leaving at the end of the year. Paige and Spinner both think she's nuts. When they go to see Terri, Ashley freaks out and Paige tells her to lighten up and that everyone is hurt by what happened to Terri, not just her and that she should live life to the fullest. Ashley decides to stay and wins third prize in an Elvis impersonation competition.
In Working for the Weekend, Spinner and Jimmy open a store with money from Jimmy's academic fund while Marco, Ashley, Paige, Ellie and Dylan stand by their side for support.
In It's Tricky, Ashley and Jimmy perform at a club that Paige was at.
- On at least two occasions, Paige has referred to Ashley as her "oldest friend in the world" given that the two of them have known each other since grade two.
- Both were rivals with Manny Santos, who has also stolen their boyfriends.
- Both have kissed Jimmy Brooks, but only Ashley had a relationship with him.
- Both have a gay relative: Ashley's father Robert Kerwin and Paige's elder brother Dylan Michalchuk.
- They were in a band together, Paige Michalchuk and the Sex Kittens (PMS) which later became Hell Hath No Fury.
- Paige's first line was spoken to Ashley and their friend Terri. ("Hey guys!")
- Ashley helped Paige through her rape in Shout (2).
- They were both friends with Spinner Mason, Ellie Nash (who had a similarly volatile tempestuous with Paige), Terri MacGregor, and Hazel Aden.
- Paige's ex-boyfriend Spinner was best friends with Ashley's ex-boyfriend Jimmy Brooks. Spinner was previously good friends with Ashley's other ex-boyfriend Craig Manning but Craig ended their friendship after learning about Spinner's indirect role in the school shooting in Eye of the Tiger and it was never made clear if he ever forgave him.
- They have both taken drugs: Ashley took ecstasy in Jagged Little Pill and Paige smoked marijuana in Death of a Disco Dancer.
- They were both originally members of the Class of 2006. While Paige graduated with that class in High Fidelity (2), Ashley's year in England meant that she became part of the Class of 2007. However, she dropped out in Bust a Move (2).
- They both made their first appearances in Season 1: Ashley in Mother and Child Reunion (2) and Paige in Family Politics.
- They were both featured in Degrassi Minis during seasons in which they did not appear: Ashley appeared in the Season 8 minis What if Craig Married Ashley, What if Peter Made a Movie and Pirates of the Cafeteribbean and Paige appeared in the Season 11 mini The Power Play.
- Paige's father and Ashley's stepfather had the same first name: Jeff Michalchuk and Jeff Isaacs.