The friendship began through Emma Nelson as Spike is Emma's mother and Manny is Emma's best friend. Spike was a mother figure to Manny for the majority of the show as Manny confided in her about her pregnancy and Spike took Manny into her home after her own parents disowned her.
In When Doves Cry (1), Manny attended Spike's birthday party.
In the Season 3 episode Accidents Will Happen (1), a distressed Manny comes running up to Spike as she is taking in her groceries. Manny then tells Spike of her pregnancy and Spike is with when the test results come up positive.
In Accidents Will Happen (2), Spike encourages Manny that whatever she decides to do, it is up to her and no one else.
In Don't You Want Me (1), Spike and Manny are with Emma as she takes a pregnancy test. The test comes out negative, to all three's relief.
- They both went through teen pregnancy but Manny got an abortion.
- Manny is best friends with Spike's daughter Emma Nelson.
- Manny stayed at Spike's house when her parents kicked her out.
- They both graduated from Degrassi: Spike in 1992 and Manny in 2007.
- Spike's daughter Emma is friends with Manny's ex-boyfriend Craig Manning.
- They both appeared in Kevin Smith's film Jay and Silent Bob Go Canadian, Eh!.
- They both appeared in the first scene of Degrassi: The Next Generation.