“Standing In The Dark (1)”
Season 7, Episode 1
January 14, 2008
October 5, 2007
Standing in the Dark (1) is the season seven premiere of Degrassi: The Next Generation. The episode was aired first on The N as a one hour episode on October 2007, while it aired in January 2008 in Canada as two separated episodes.
Darcy tells her family about her boyfriend, and they don't allow them to date. Peter and Darcy won't let that stop them. Meanwhile, Lakehurst find themselves in the Degrassi hallways after having a school fire during Winter Break.
Darcy and Peter tell their parents that they are going out, and Darcy's parents are upset and tell her she cannot date him. Her parents and sister Clare leave for a retreat and she pretends to be sick, sneaks out, and goes to a ski party with Peter, Manny, and other Degrassi students, including newcomers Jane and Sav. She and Peter start making out; but he tries to have sex and she leaves, disgusted. Later, she is seen with a drink that she leaves unattended when she goes to the bathroom. She and Manny get in a fight because Darcy drunkenly tells her she has no values. She goes back to Peter, who tells her he'd have sex whenever she is ready. Later that night, she is seen being lead, unconscious, into a room by a mysterious figure.
As Lakehurst students acclimate themselves in their new Degrassi surroundings following a devastating fire at their school over the winter break, a fuming Toby can't contain his anger at their presence so soon after J.T.'s death, and lets his feelings be known through his online podcast.
- This episode marks Holly J.'s, Anya's, Sav's, Bruce's, and Jane's first appearance.
- Mia, Derek, and Danny's first season as regulars.
- Daniel Clark, Ryan Cooley and Deanna Casalauce have been taken out of the credits. In place of Clark appears Charlotte Arnold, and Nina Dobrev. Mazin Elsadig and Paula Brancati are in place of Casaluce and Marc Donato, and Dalmer Abuzeid appears in place of Cooley.
- The theme song has been changed slightly again. The beginning of the intro has a sound more similar to the beginning of the seasons 4 and 5 intro.
- Music playing from the show include "Neighbors" by "The Academy Is...".
- First instance of rape since Season 2.
- The scene where Darcy and Holly J. is starting a rivalry in the cafeteria is used in Charlotte Arnold's montage for the season 7 opening credits.
- This episode is named after the song "Standing In The Dark" by Platinum Blonde
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Dalmar Abuzeid as Danny Van Zandt
- Charlotte Arnold as Holly J. Sinclair
- Sarah Barrable-Tishauer as Liberty Van Zandt
- Paula Brancati as Jane Vaughn
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Melissa DiMarco as Daphne Hatzilakos
- Marc Donato as Derek Haig
- Aubrey Graham as Jimmy Brooks
- Shenae Grimes as Darcy Edwards
- Jamie Johnston as Peter Stone
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Cassie Steele as Manny Santos
- Raymond Ablack as Sav Bhandari
- Ted Atherton as Randall Edwards
- Jake Goldsbie as Toby Isaacs
- Ruth Marshall as Helen Edwards
- Samantha Munro as Anya MacPherson
- Scott Paterson as Johnny DiMarco
- Aislinn Paul as Clare Edwards
- Natty Zavitz as Bruce
- Peter: (to Darcy) "Can I tell you a secret? I'm a virgin too. But I don't care, you know. I'll wait until whenever. 'Cuz...I love you. And I'm gonna barf."