“Take On Me”
Season 3, Episode 16
February 16, 2004
June 11, 2004
Five Degrassi students end up in detention for different reasons. Hazel for surfing porn, Jimmy and Toby for trying to change Jimmy's grade, Sean for telling Raditch to go to hell (for 8 solid weeks, as he said proudly) and Ellie "supposedly" for skipping class. Sean is playing with a ball when it hits the ceiling and it drops on Ellie's bag. Sean apologizes and Ellie says it's fine, but later pulls out a tape recorder to make sure it is okay.
After a while, the five of them bond and go on a spontaneous adventure throughout the school. They also play truth or dare and the students make Hazel kiss Toby. They go down to the basement, where Jimmy finds the keys, and the students go in the elevator which leads to the roof.
On the rooftop, Toby gets over his fear of heights, Hazel and Jimmy start going out, and Ellie and Sean get closer. Jimmy finds a locket belonging to someone and gives it to Hazel when he kisses her and says it was for making her kiss Toby. Ellie is laying down with Sean and they begin talking, and getting to know each other. Sean says, "You're not scared of me," and Ellie says, "You're not freaked by me..." and then shows him her cuts. "Still not freaked?" Sean answers no. Toby crawls over to the edge of the roof, and he sees Simpson and Mr. Raditch and quickly hides. He hears Simpson telling Raditch that life is too short to be in detention. Raditch is about to change his mind when he catches Toby looking at him on the roof, the five students hurry back to detention positions so they don't get caught.
When Mr. Raditch finds evidence of escape, Toby takes the blame and the kids are released. Right before Ellie volunteers for taking a group hug photo, her tape recorder falls out and it is revealed that she was using the day as a story at her co-op. The other four look at her in disgust and Sean smashes the tape.
On Monday, all detention attendees are friends, excluding Ellie. After the realization that Ellie meant no harm, Sean forgives her, and the episode ends with Ellie holding Sean's hand and smiling.
- This episode is based on the 1985 film The Breakfast Club: the plot line of five students in detention and the characters sharing the same personalities.
- This episode is named after the song "Take On Me" by A-ha.
- This episode marks the beginning of Hazel and Jimmy's relationship.
- This episode marks the beginning of Ellie and Sean's relationship.
- This episode also ended the rivalry between Sean and Jimmy.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Daniel Clark as Sean Cameron
- Ryan Cooley as J.T. Yorke
- Stacey Farber as Ellie Nash
- Jake Goldsbie as Toby Isaacs
- Aubrey Graham as Jimmy Brooks
- Andrea Lewis as Hazel Aden
- Dan Woods as Daniel Raditch
- Sarah Barrable-Tishauer as Liberty Van Zandt
- Lauren Collins as Paige Michalchuk
- Jake Epstein as Craig Manning
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Pat Mastroianni as Joey Jeremiah
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Melissa McIntyre as Ashley Kerwin
- Stacie Mistysyn as Caitlin Ryan
- Adamo Ruggiero as Marco Del Rossi
- Christina Schmidt as Terri MacGregor
- Cassie Steele as Manny Santos
- Amanda Stepto as Christine Nelson
- Jimmy: "Can you stop being an idiot?"
Sean: "I missed the part... when you became Raditch."
- "18" by Chris Public
- "Midnite Rider" by Supergarage
- "Pretty Girls" by Lisa Dalbello
- Watch Take On Me on Gorillavid (International)