“Time Stands Still (2)”
Season 4, Episode 8
October 12, 2004
December 10, 2004
Rick's public humiliation makes him homicidal, which causes him to come back to school armed with a gun and looking for revenge. As innocent people are caught in his path, the unthinkable happens, and everyone at Degrassi faces fear and tragedy.
Rick heads to Degrassi with his father's handgun in his backpack, despite being given permission to go home by Mr. Raditch until everyone has calmed down and the issue has been resolved. Toby tells him to go home, but he replies saying that this is the one day he wants to actually be at Degrassi
Rick walks into the cafeteria. Upon seeing Paige approaching him, he reaches for the gun in his bag. Paige tells him that she thought that the prank was sickening, childish, and out of line. Hearing this, he puts the gun away, apologizes for hurting Terri, and leaves the cafeteria.
Rick decides to forgo his plans and places the gun in his locker. Still covered in paint, he goes into a washroom and begins to clean up. He hears footsteps and hides in a stall. Spinner and Jay walk into the washroom arguing about the prank they pulled earlier. Noticing that Rick is in one of the stalls, Jay falsely blames Jimmy, noting that the the prank would not have had been successful if Jimmy hadn't been the "inside man". Spinner is initially confused by this, although he goes along with Jay in the end once he catches on to the joke.
Hearing this, Rick leaves the washroom and looks for Jimmy, taking his backpack along with him. He finds Jimmy near his locker. Jimmy asks Rick how he's holding up and tells Rick that he's got his back if anyone bothers him again. To this, Rick replies, "You stabbed me in the back. You set the whole thing up." Jimmy initially protests this by saying that he defended Rick. He sees Rick draw the gun out of his bag and asks nervously "Is that real?" Rick ignores him and points the gun at Jimmy accusing him of faking his friendship and that Jimmy "made me [Rick] do this".
Jimmy backs away slowly. As Rick closes his eyes, Jimmy turns and starts running. Rick fires a shot. The bullet hits Jimmy in the back, knocking him to the ground. Other students around the area start running away. Craig, who is nearby, walks down the hall to see Jimmy lying on the floor.
Rick finds Emma with Toby and Sean. He apologises for kissing Emma. Sean grabs Emma and urges them to go. As they turn away, Rick screams: "Don't turn away from me!" They turn back and Rick approaches them slowly. He accuses Emma of flirting with him and making him think that she cared about him. Because of this, "she made his list".
Sean calmly tries to reason with Rick and tells him that giving into anger will just make his life worse. Rick struggles with this for a moment, but points the gun at Emma saying "It's too late. I've already shot someone". Before he fires, Sean lunges for the weapon. Both Sean and Rick struggle for a moment before the gun goes off. Both Sean and Rick drop to the floor, with the Rick having been shot by his own gun.
The school enters lockdown. Both Parents and Emergency Services start arriving at the school. While the comb the school, Sean is escorted to a room where Toby is being questioned by a detective. Shocked by what has happened, Toby admits to Rick being bullied every day. He refuses to call Rick his friend and repeatedly calls him a psycho instead.
In another room, Spike and Snake are comforting a visiably shaken Emma. Mr. Radditch enters and asks Snake to look through Rick's emails for warning signs. Snake is enraged by this, and blames Mr. Radditch for the incident since he failed to see warning signs before when Rick approached him earlier. The two proceed to argue, although they stop when Spike intervenes by asking them to stop.
Hazel, Paige, and other the other juniors take cover in another classroom while the police cpntinue the search. The search concludes with the guidance teacher visiting their classroom. She calls Hazel into the hall to tell her the horrifying news that Jimmy had been shot. Hazel begins to cry as the other students are escorted out of the school by police.
As Jay, Alex, and a clearly guilt-ridden Spinner evacuate, Jay mentions to Spinner that he thought Rick had shot him. Spinner replies by telling them that Rick had shot Jimmy instead and that someone would eventually find out the events that transpired in the washroom. Jay stops him and tells him that he needs to keep quiet and that they hadn't done anything wrong. Spinner refuses, saying that Jimmy is his best friend and that they might have caused his death.
The local press approach Craig, who is among the fleeing students streaming out of the school. They ask him whether or not he knew the victim. Craig is flustered and tells them that the victim has a name. The press continue to pester him until Caitlin intervenes and tells them to back off. The press notice Toby leaving the building and approach him next. They introduce themselves and mention that they knew Rick was Toby's friend. They ask him whether or not Toby tried to stop him, to which Toby retorts angrily "What was I supposed to do?" The press asks him whether or not Rick said anything before he died. Toby is visiably shocked by this question and is lead away by his family, indicating that he has just learnt of Rick's death despite being there when Rick was shot.
Jimmy is taken to the hopsital where Hazel, Paige, and Spinner visit along with others. They find out that he is paralyzed from the waist down and are deeply saddened.
That evening, Toby, Ashley, and their mother go over to the Simpson-Nelsons house to watch the news. Clearly devastated, Spike cannot accept the fact that a shooting has just taken place at Degrassi. Emma comments that Degrassi isn't a "sainthood" - that it's a school. Spike responds by saying that's the point - no shooting should ever have to take place in any school. Snake comes in by saying that they all failed to take Rick's bullying seriously and that Rick hadn't just been simply unpopular. Ashley, infuriated by the shooting (and especially because the vicim is Jimmy), says that Rick was only a psycho and a certified freak. Her words upset Toby, who slams the remote on the table and leaves the room. Emma comments that Rick was not simply a psycho; he was Toby's friend.
In Joey's house, Craig, Caitlin, and Joey watch the story on the local news, as do Sean and Ellie at his house. Hazel and Paige remain at the hospital while a guilt-ridden Spinner cries in his room. The episode ends with Toby going to a growing candlelight vigil at the front steps of Degrassi. He is joined by Emma, and the two tearfully embrace.
- The title of this episode is named after the song "Time Stands Still" by Rush.
- This episode mark the last time Jimmy walked, because Rick shot him, leading him to be in a wheelchair.
- This episode marks the second shooting in the Degrassi franchise (first in DTNG). The first being in Showtime (1).
- One of the 3 three shootings on DTNG. The other two were Danger Zone and Dead and Gone (2).
- This episode marks the final appearance of Rick, as he dies in this episode.
- The scene where Jimmy gets shot is used in Aubrey Graham's montage for the season 6 and 7 opening credits.
- This episode was played on the same day Dead and Gone (2) premiered, which also had a shooting.
- Jay and Spinner admit to the prank later on, but they didn't tell anyone Alex helped set it up.
- Aubrey Graham appeared in a PSA for gun violence prevention that plays alongside this episode during commercial breaks. It can be watched here.
Regular Cast (Ordered Alphabetically)
- Stefan Brogren as Archie Simpson
- Daniel Clark as Sean Cameron
- Lauren Collins as Paige Michalchuk
- Ryan Cooley as J.T. Yorke
- Jake Epstein as Craig Manning
- Stacey Farber as Ellie Nash
- Jake Goldsbie as Toby Isaacs
- Aubrey Graham as Jimmy Brooks
- Shane Kippel as Spinner Mason
- Andrea Lewis as Hazel Aden
- Pat Mastroianni as Joey Jeremiah
- Miriam McDonald as Emma Nelson
- Melissa McIntyre as Ashley Kerwin
- Stacie Mistysyn as Caitlin Ryan
- Amanda Stepto as Christine Nelson
- Dan Woods as Daniel Raditch
- Dalmar Abuzeid as Danny Van Zandt
- Dino Bellisario as Police officer
- Inga Cadranel as Rachel Rhodes
- Deanna Casaluce as Alex Nuñez
- Ephraim Ellis as Rick Murray
- Michael Kinney as Darryl Armstrong
- Mike Lobel as Jay Hogart
- Linlyn Lue as Laura Kwan
- Gerry Mendicino as Detective
- Elisa Moolecherry as Sydney
- Jennifer Podemski as Chantel Sauvé
- Maria Ricossa as Kate Kerwin
- Alex Steele as Angela Jeremiah
- Toby: Raditch is going supernova he's gonna find out who did this
- Rick: And what? Give Em detention
- Toby: I'm just saying, I think it'll be cool if you skip the rest of the day
- Rick: Toby... this is the one time I actually wanna be at school
- Jimmy: How you holding up ?
- Rick: Good
- Jimmy: Good...kinda surprised to see you this afternoon
- Rick: Yea I bet you are
- Jimmy: I'm really sorry about everything, and if those guys give you any trouble, *I got your back.
- Rick: You stabbed me in the back!
- Jimmy: What ?
- Rick: You set the whole thing up
- Jimmy: Come on Rick, I defended you...
- (Rick pulls out the gun)
- Jimmy: Is that real ?
- Rick: This whole time you pretended to be my friend... you made me do this
- (Rick shoots Jimmy)
- Watch Time Stands Still (2) on Gorillavid (International)